What is Backlink?
In simple words, a backlink is a link from one website to another. Search engines use backlinks as a ranking signal. When one website links to another, it means that website believes the content is noteworthy and trusted. High-quality backlinks help to increase ranking position of a website and visibility of the article and website in search engine results (SEO).
How Do Backlinks Work?
Backlinks play a very crucial role in search engine algorithm. It is very important for making strategy to grow your website. The easiest way to think of a backlink would be as conversations among many websites. For Example; when a writer mentions other’s article links to his article, it shows that the link of that article is authentic that why he has mentioned it in his article.
We can also understand it with another example; Ramesh is blog writer. He is writing an article about the scheme that is launched by the Government for welling of farmers. While he writing article, he included some links about that scheme from the Government’s website.
It means Ramesh make a backlink for the Government website. Like Ramesh other people will also write the article on the schemes, launched by the Government and give a backlink also. Thus Government’s website will be in limelight as many writers are referring to it. This will improve the ranking of a website.
Types of Backlinks
While creating a link, nofollow tag tells search engines to ignore that link. Suggesting that they don’t pass any value from one site to another. So, typically nofollow backlinks aren’t helpful in improving search rank or visibility of your website.
Dofollow links or backlinks are the types of backlinks that everyone wants for his website. Always keep in mind that those coming from respected sites are more valuable. This kind of backlink is very valuable and can help to improve your search engine rankings.
However, there are do follow links that are considered bad or ‘toxic’ and toxic links are very harmful to the ranking of your site. These links come from suspicious sites or these links are gained by breaking the search engine terms of service. Many times it may cause Google to penalize your site or even de-index your site.
How to Get More Backlinks?
Building backlinks for your site is time taking work. It also requires much effort. Here are top 7 ways you can start building quality backlinks for your website.
- Add links of your website on your different social media platforms.
- Do a Google search for a post that is already ranking well and then improve and expand it.
- Create list posts, infographics, “how-to” posts, “why” posts, or posts with embedded videos. Generally, these formats of posts usually get more backlinks than standard posts.
- Write the ultimate guide posts for your site. These are very long posts containing thousands of words that cover every angle of the topic.
- Write guest posts on other blogs and websites and invite others to write guest post on your website.
- Contact influencers that are in your niche or industry and tell them about your site that they may want to link to.
- You can also generate backlink by asking other blog writers through hyperlink comment in his article to mention your article link in his article because your article is relevant to his article.
You can also begin doing competitive backlink research for your website. In order to check backlink competition, you will require to check the backlinks of your competitors who are ranking well.